Cats And Dogs Living Together

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Music startles the domesticated breast

Evelyn, my erstwhile Shih Tzu, usually seemed uninterested in music. Whenever I played music she just lay there, apparently oblivious. One day while I was listening to a radio broadcast of a Japanese jazz percussionist improvising in a junkyard, she got up and started exploring the area behind the speakers, trying to find the source of the sound (mainly by using her sense of smell). I decided to try playing different styles of music for her to see how she would react.

I played samples of every style of music I had. From Gregorian chant to heavy metal she just lay there, apparently oblivious. When I started George Crumb's Black Angels for amplified string quartet, she didn't wait around to see what it was. She bolted at the first sound and ran to the farthest point from the stereo she could reach, which happened to be behind the downstairs toilet. I found her there, trembling. She was afraid to come out for several minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home